Cruises from Stanley
Stanley is a tourist destination and the main fishing port on the north-west coast of Tasmania. The most distinctive landmark in Stanley is The Nut, an old volcanic plug discovered by the explorers Bass and Flinders in 1798, who officially named it Circular Head. It has steep sides and rises to 143 metres with a flat top. It is possible to walk along a steep track to the top or via a scenic chairlift.
The port on the southern side of The Nut is also a regularly used fishing spot. The township is famous for its local art and craft galleries, a frequent winner of tourism awards. On the headland to the north-west is historic Highfield House, a centre of early settlement and commerce, recently restored to its former glory.